Hocus Pocus Icon

Helloooo, Lots of peeps have commented on this little icon which sits on my desk at demos. The stamp plate, Hocus Pocus,  is my humble homage to Edgar Alan Poe and JK Rowling’s Harry Potter. Our eldest daughter (now 20yrs) was, and still is, a huge fan of H.P. At seven years old we both started on our journey with Hermione, Ron, Harry, Hedwig et al when we were searching for a bedtime book in our local bookshop. (Do I sound like a geek yet?) From there on we were hooked. I used to read to her, and then sneek into her room when she was asleep, steal her book (oh the shame!) and read till the early hours!!(definate geek alert)

Hocus Pocus front cover by Kay Halliwell-sutton

Now for the nitty gritty………

Take one cute small wooden icon, splash a bit of acrylic paint on it (I used Plus One Colour because you only need one coat). Dry. Then use a Dry Brush Technique….funnily enough you use a ‘dry brush’ and a teeny tiny bit of contrasting coloured acrylic paint and lightly brush to give a distressed look. ( TIP:white for a shabby chic look, brown for a  grunge look)

Stamp the front cover with the owl and castle from the ‘Hocus Pocus’ stamp plate and heat emboss with clear or Distress Embossing Powder. Stamp background stamp ‘Script’  in Scattered Straw Distress Ink onto card, then overstamp gothic abbey and monk in black ink on paper and heat emboss in clear. Cut out and glue to front of icon. Repeat with the words ‘ A friend is like…..’.

by Kay Halliwell-sutton

Stamp the icon  using Adirondack pigment ink, then stamp owl onto icon and also card. Distress card with scattered straw, cut out owl and castle and glue to icon. COntinue same technique  on the back of icon.   Ta Dah.

'Hocus Pocus' Icon back cover by Kay Halliwell-sutton